Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Weekend Camping Trip

Our Girl Scout troop went to Camp Misty Meadows this past weekend with three Junior troops. (All were fourth graders based out of different schools) The weather was perfect on the outside, we had heat on the inside at night, and we had the best time. I have always said that "the girls" were the "best" and this weekend they proved it. I still have 8 girls and that is amazing at this age. They played games with the younger girls, taught them camp songs, took them on two hikes, and cooked dinner on the campfire. And they even cleaned up without being asked too!! We have come a long ways in 11 years.
The Juniors went horseback riding on Saturday morning but our main purpose was to complete the requirements for being able to earn the Gold Award. After meeting with them one on one I can honestly say I'm impressed with all 8 young ladies. Their projects are as different as they are. The hardest part in the last year has been pulling them apart becuase their Gold Award projects have to be individual. I have compared them to a fine oiled machine that you have to take part. Because they have been together for so long they know each other strengths and weaknesses and they play off of those to make whatever they are doing work.
To say I love each one of the girls is an understatement. I know when they walk across the graduation stage in two short years it will be a bittersweet moment for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment